Curriculum & Learning
A personalised curriculum provides entitlement, breadth and balance and memorable experiences.
At Maiden Erlegh School we believe that the high impact delivery by consummate professionals of a coherent, broad and high quality curriculum produces:
• High standards
• Memorable experience
• Students who have a core of essential knowledge
• Varied option choices for all groups of students including the most able and SEND
• Varied progression routes for all students: post 16 and post 18
• A wider range of opportunities for individualised stretch, challenge and support
• Equality and inclusion
• A range of assessment opportunities which inform high quality of information advice and guidance for students and parents
Learning & Teaching - at Maiden Erlegh School teachers aim to:
• place personalised learning at the heart of planning, resourcing, teaching, assessment and feedback
• personalise learning and teaching so that each student achieves or exceeds their potential
• develop a culture where students are involved in planning progress along their learning journey.
Curriculum at Key Stage 3
At Maiden Erlegh School we recognise that some students benefit from a more intensive focus on literacy and numeracy at key stage 3. For this reason we have designed a bespoke curriculum which provides extra time for English and Mathematics to prepare them for the demands of the curriculum further up the school. In order to facilitate and support this accelerated learning, they will not study some of the non-core subjects at key stage 3.
Students are identified as being potentially suited to this curriculum using information from their primary school and we will work in consultation with parents and the primary school professionals to ensure that students receive the provision appropriate to their needs. Students who have not achieved level 4 in English or Maths will normally follow this programme although the final decision is made at the professional discretion of the school.
See our Learning & Teaching Policy for more details of our approaches.